Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Week 1 - The Beginning

This is just the first week of my Internship with the Florida Historical Quarterly. I was nervous, but was quickly relieved when I got to know the professors I will be working with over the next sixteen weeks. My first assignments were to work on a Database which I am very excited to experiment with and try to create something that can help others. I was also assigned to review a series of book reviews for the Quarterly. I was nervous about this because I felt very under qualified to be reviewing professionals work, however, I was able to complete this task with success. Another project I am taking on is being a liaison between the FHQ and Phi Alpha Theta to coordinate a Brown Bag Lunch with a Guest Lecturer that is coming to speak at the University in October. All in all, I believe this week to be successful and I feel like this is going to be a great learning experience for what goes into an academic journal.

What I Learned This Week:
The most important thing I learned this week was that even though I did not believe I could be really useful proof reading Professionals I am able to contribute quite a bit and give a different perspective and  another set of eyes on a piece of writing that can benefit the writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment