Monday, September 23, 2013

Week 5 - A new assignment

During this week of my internship my job took on a different aspect. The Florida Historical Quarterly is attempting to make it easier for people to find their information online. In order to do this someone will have to review the articles and make abstracts as well as pull out keywords for searches. I am already currently using articles from the Quarterly for my personal work so I am going to start working with those articles and try to set up some kind of template to be used for the abstracts to make them easier to compile and find later on. This new assignment will really benefit me in my ability to synthesize information and create abstracts for when I need to do so later on in my career.  In addition, I continue my work with the Database and expanding its contacts. Hopefully all of this hard work will pay off when the website is created and I can upload all of this information for others to use.

What I Learned This Week - On a different aspect of the workings of an academic journal I learned that the online component of the journals can be very difficult for people to navigate and that making an abstract and keywords might help people locate what they are looking for faster and easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment